Saturday, January 12, 2008

Failed Attempts: Reasons I chose P90X


I didn't just make this decision with a 2 AM impulse buy watching an infomercial while eating Doritos. I've tried various exercise devices and programs with limited success. Here are my "failed" attempts at keeping myself in shape:





JUMP ROPE: I have a jump rope. But really, how much jump rope can one person do? Motivation was an issue here. I might still use this as a warm up.
SLIDE BOARD: This is great for hockey, but again, it's basically aerobic conditioning and leg intensive. I didn't look nearly as good as this guy does.

Hip-Hop Abs. Yeah, I know. It was cheap and I thought it would be fun. It was.


But even in the privacy of my own home I felt ridiculous. This was another Beachbody.com product, and it came with a month-long program (which I followed religiously!). But after the month was up I didn't feel much improvement and I was left to design my own program or repeat it. I definitely felt the plateau effect as the days went by. I also had to supplement my own strength program and I had no idea how to develop this on my own (another appealing factor in the P90X decision!)

MyGym Last year I purchased the "MyGym" home fitness system. It is a very well designed piece of equipment.





The problem is that it came with just a couple of DVDS and it didn't really provide a schedule of workouts. In fact the guy on the video said in one sentence that you should take two days off between "waves" and then later in the same video said to take one day off. It was confusing and the plateau effect came into play almost immediately. I will use the MyGym for my P90X workouts as the resistance bands will work well considering I don't have dumbbells.

For the reasons I listed above, the P90X program seems to be exactly what I need:
1. A tight schedule with step-by-step procedures to follow.
2. A variety of activities. P90X gives me 12 different routines. I think the "muscle-confusion" philosophy is what my body needs to stay motivated.
3. STEP-BY-STEP MEALS: P90X also comes with a diet that I can adjust accordingly or follow a daily meal plan (which I have never done before!) if I wish.
4. ONLINE SUPPORT: The online gym is cool. Just another form of accountability and a great resource. Of course they push their supplements and other products, but the people are a great motivation.

No comments: