Thursday, April 3, 2008

Day 77: Dumbells for the Dumbbell! Arms Rejoice!

I stalked my prey for three months. Stealthily monitoring it's movements (pricewise). Waiting for incentives ($25 Off Coupon), stored my assets (old Sports Authority Gift Card) and finally pounced!


The link to the product that is sold online is here.


Here are what the beauties look like:

That's what I'm talking about! Okay, I was first enamored with the BowFlex SelecTech Dumbbells, but they start at $400 and they are kind of cheap feeling. These babies are solid and they take up little space (another important factor) and don't look out of place at my place.

They have their faults. I can't switch the plates that quickly, so the pause button is gettign a workout, and if you aren't careful you can accidentally "pick up" an extra plate or two and then have it promptly drop on your foot (or worse, your hardwood floors!).

Anyway, I told you last week I was done with the bands. I figured I'd wait until my next go around, but the opportunity was there and I'm looking a t a good tax refiund, so I bit the bullet and got them for a decent price. I also wanted to have some mention of using dumbbells on this blog for people looking for advice on what to do. I still like the bands for certain exercises and I think they are a great option for the road warrior, but I felt that my overall development was stagnating due to lack of progression with heavier weights.

So how were they? First of all, my motivation went sky high. I was already pumped because I am so close to finishing the 90 days, but this put me over the top. I had to learn some of the moves all over again, but it was worth it.

The first thing I learned is that my estimates of the band weight were awful. All my numbers went down. This is the best thing about using the dumbbells, knowing where you stand and being able to really adjust the weight. The bands are too ambiguous, with you foot and the band length being different almost every time. I also felt like I was really getting a burn.

I "brought it" for Ab Ripper X as well, feeling invigorated (and excited that I only have three left!).

Anyway, I'm a happy X'er! Keep Bringing It!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh Man I want those dumbells!!!