Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day 85: Core Synergistics: Back to Reality!

This is, after all, an extreme program. Getting ahead of myself and thinking the hard part was over was pretty much the worst thing I could do. Sure I have Kenpo tomorrow and I have Stretching on Thursday, but then I end with the Core/Yoga 1-2 punch. This week will not be cake, by any means!

I am back down to 170 lbs.

This is good.

Anyway, Here is my take on my third week of Core Synergistics:

Ow.

I kind of had this lurking feeling that the workout was a lot harder than I remembered it, but I wasn't sure until the first routine and then it was like getting kicked in the stomach (literally!).

I had pretty good intensity, but I probably didn't "bring it" in the "Banana Rolls" and "Banana-Superman"

Using Dumbbells in this routine was interesting. In some regards, I felt more of a burn using the bands. But any iso-hold benefits are outweighed (pun intended) by more weight and speed of transition between drills. "Lunge and Reach" felt cooler when I used the bands, but I ended up pausing and rewinding every freakin' time I had to switch. This way, I could keep up with the demonstrators the entire time and I got a much deeper, more cumulative burn. But for most of the drills, just using the 10 pound weights were a major upgrade over the 3 pounders I had been using. They were a little bulkier and the "Lunge-Kickback-Curl-Press" was tricky navigation in my small workout space, but an incredible burn overall!

I was more annoyed than usual with the video cutting. It's almost like the cameraman is suffering from adult ADHD and has downed 27 Nodoz and chased it with a 12 pack of Red Bull to meet a deadline. "Hey-hey-Tony-I-think-you-are-going-to-love-this-editing-I-did-I-got-everyone-in-it-just-like-you-wanted-and-I-made-sure-not-to-cut-any-of-your-jokes-do-you-want-to-feel-my-muscles-huh?-Please?"

Enough of that. Speaking of caffeinated beverages. The reason I am still awake is that I made a slight error in judgement during the workout. I ran out of water and I wanted something with a little taste. I had a 16 oz. bottle of water and a little packet called "Spark" which I had snagged from the "Tea" box at work. I thought it was a falvor enhancer, since it was labeled "Cranberry". I must say these things are impressive, as it turned the entire contents of the water bottle red in about 2 seconds. I didn't read the fine print around the word "Spark": "Morning" and "Caffeinated Drink Mix".

Whoops!

Yeah, as a caffeine addict, I realized my error almost immediately. It did give me a little energy. But it also made me feel a little full while working out and I am currently watching Lewis Black's "Root of All Evil", which is hilarious by the way.

Anyway, I'm down to one Kenpo, two Stretches, one Yoga and one more Core Synergistics. Yeah!

Keep Bringing it!

No comments: